Imagine you have a torch that doesn’t seem to be working properly. Do you simply throw it out? No, you would either recharge the batteries or put new ones in. You don’t judge how well something works when the batteries are totally flat.
Recharge those batteries and then evaluate how well it works.
If you start a goal setting exercise with a flat battery, feeling low and run down, it’s not going to be productive.
It’s way better to do goal setting when you are feeling a bit more optimistic and when your batteries are recharged.
So what do you do then if your batteries are flat and you want to get your goals achieved?
Start with listing everything you have actually achieved. This lifts your confidence and recharges your batteries.
It reminds you that you have had success in some areas. It focuses your mind on the good, not only the bad.
As a result, the goals you set are going to be the ones that energize you, the right goals for you.
It’s a bit like standing at the top of a mountain – it’s so much easier to see the bigger picture, than when you are standing at the bottom wondering how you are ever going to find your way up.
Why list your achievements?
1. It helps you focus on what has gone right rather than on what has gone wrong.
2. You get a more positive start to your goal setting.
3. Your goals will be more aligned with who you are.
4. It reminds you of the fact that you can achieve goals.
5. You see the bigger picture of your life as a whole. This allows you to set goals that get you closer to your greater good and higher purpose.
Why many people don’t do this:
1. They are so used to playing down their achievements because they don’t want to stand out.
2. If you’re in a negative spiral, you tend to question everything – wondering if anything is going right at all. This is not a productive or useful exercise at all.
Go ahead and list all your achievements and successes. Even if you think it’s a small success or inconsequential, write it down anyhow.
Have fun with this, till next Chooseday,
P.S. There are still 2 seats available for my Think and Grow Rich Mastermind this Thursday evening! Click here to grab your spot!